Entertainment was provided by the Chicago Teddy Bears and a fabulous BBQ was put on by the local Scout Group, along with side shows and games for all ages. Everyone made an effort to come along in their red, white and blue attire, metres and metres of bunting were put up inside and outside the Community Centre and even the home made cakes had a patriotic theme.
It is now almost 2 years since the current Management Committee came into being in July 2010 and those of you who use the Community Centre and The Bellhouse Club regularly will know what massive changes have taken place during this time:
- Lowering the fence around the Beer Garden
- Redecoration of The Bellhouse Club
- New toilets in the Ladies
- Refitting of the kitchen in the Olde Barn including new catering fridge and cooker
- Reorganising of storage in the Olde Barn so chairs and tables are stored out of sight
- Purchase of new tables for Olde Barn
- Renovation of the garden at the front of the Parish Council offices
- Removal of dead trees
- Upgrade of the projector, screen and sound systems throughout
- New website
- Free WiFi throughout Old Barn, Committee Room and Bellhouse Club
- Fitting new programmer controls to the existing boilers
- Renovation of the committee room to provide a state of the art training room
- Renovation of the glass wash area
- External renovations to the guttering and weatherboarding
- New UPVC windows in Pre School
- Fitting new LED lighting, a Green option with long term money saving benefits
- Radiator covers in Pre School
- Introduction of Free Community Events, ie Christmas Tree Lighting, Diamond Jubilee Lunch, Village Fete etc.
- Complete renovation of the Gym into a bright well equipped sports/badminton hall.
There have been some new additions to our regular programme of events in that every 3rd Friday we now have live music in the Club House and the Quiz Night will recommence from Saturday 14th July 8.30 for a 9:00pm start. This will be a Charity Quiz with a difference, with teams of up to 6 people, come along and try your hand, even hardened quiz goers will find this a little bit out of the ordinary.
GRANTS AND FUNDRAISING
During the past two years we have been extremely lucky to have had help from Janet Richards the Parish Clerk in assisting us to get grants to help with some of the major refurbishments, ie the Gym and the Kitchen. Further funding has been provided by the ‘Friends’ of the GYCA when available.
We have just heard that we have secured a £40,000 WREN Grant towards the cost of replacing the central heating boilers which will cost a total of £47,500.
The current boilers are the original ones installed over 30 years ago and are inefficient, costly to run and are now obsolete. The worry is that they will fail in the winter and we will not be able to source the parts to repair them.
Although a £40,000 grant will go a long way to carrying out this work, this money cannot be accessed WITHOUT US RAISING £7,500 ourselves to ‘match fund’. If we do not raise the funding and carry out the work within 12 months we lose the grant.
It is a massive task for the Management Committee, The Friends and Staff to undertake alone and we need your help to raise this money.
We will be putting on some extra events during the coming weeks and months and need your support. If you would like to organise a fund raising event, or have an idea for an event, please speak to anyone of the above groups who will be delighted to assist, if not please come along and attend the events.
Donations may be made through ‘Just Giving’ (click to dontate) or donations may be posted into the collection box in the bar, or handed in to the Manager.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
AGM - Wednesday 25th July in the Olde Barn at 7.30pm
New Charity Quiz Night – Start Date Saturday 14th July at 9pm.
Afternoon Tea and Homebakes – Sunday 5th August and Sunday 19th August 2pm to 4pm in the Marquee
Village Fete – Saturday 5th September 12:00 to 4pm
Wine Tasting – 12th October
Halloween – 26th October
Tree Lighting Ceremony / Santa’s Grotto Opening – 1st December
Pantomime – Puss in Boots – 15th December 1.30pm